Conanicut Friends Meeting is an “indulged” Meeting, under the care of Providence Friends Meeting
|Summer – First Sunday in May through October||Meeting for Worship takes place every Sunday until Oct. 18th at 10:30 AM
The Old Meetinghouse, at the corner of North Rd. & Weeden Lane Jamestown, RI
|Winter – First Sunday in November through April||Meeting for Worship takes place every Sunday at 10:30 AM until May
Mabel’s Studio at Norman Bird Sanctuary,
Conanicut Worship Group meets in the 1787 unmodernized Old Quaker Meetinghouse at the corner of North Main Road and Weeden Lane in Jamestown, Rhode Island. The original Meetinghouse was erected in 1710 on Eldred Ave. It was moved to the present site in 1733 and the current 20′ x 20′ structure was built after the Revolutionary War. It is adjacent to the historic Windmill and is maintained by the efforts of the members of the Meeting and the Jamestown Historical Society, which holds title to the building and land.
The old Meetinghouse was brought back into use in the 20th century by an interested group of Philadelphia Quakers who summered in the area. With the decline in membership in the Religious Society of Friends it had been abandoned, as was the old Quaker burial ground near the site of the original and much larger Meetinghouse off what is now called Cedar Lane. Because the modern use of the Meetinghouse was seasonal, the Friends worshipped as an “Indulged” Meeting, having no business meeting or committees, and were under the care of the Providence Friends Meeting.
Everyone is welcomed to join unprogrammed worship in the simple structure, where the livestock from surrounding farms often adds background to the messages we share. There is no First Day School and no bathroom. There are two steps up into the building.
Since the turn of this century, Conanicut Friends have held Meeting for Worship through winter as well as summer to accommodate interested year-round residents in the area. Conanicut Friends make their annual move each Fall to Norman Bird Sanctuary’s light-filled Mabel’s Studio . Currently,worship is held on alternate Sundays, starting on the first Sunday in November, through April.